UK-wide road haulage firm SMA Pallets Ltd is the first company in Hertfordshire to provide its customers with an accurate two-hour time delivery window for palletised freight.
The new service is thanks to innovative, game changing technology developed by Palletways, Europe’s largest and fastest growing palletised freight network. SMA Pallets Ltd is one of 100+ independent transport companies who, as part of the Palletways network, are uniquely positioned to offer this service.
Through the ETA system, SMA Pallets will also be able to provide SMS and email notifications to both their customers and consumers. Information is provided to track and trace goods and notify the two-hour window within which the pallet will be delivered.
Alex Stewart, Operations Supervisor at SMA Pallets said: “The number one on our customers’ wish list is to receive two-hour delivery windows together with electronic notifications via mobile phone and email. Our pallet information system is now on a par with only the best parcel operators. No other palletised freight network or operator in the UK has this system.
“Working with Palletways, we’re part of the first pallet network in the UK to offer a comprehensive ETA system. In turn, this provides our customers an advantage over their competitors and a greater ability to manage their logistics and control costs. It’s a win-win on all sides.”
All drivers in the Palletways UK network of over 100 depots are trained to use the ETA App that will enable them to alter routes and delivery times according to traffic conditions and unforeseen circumstances, such as road traffic accidents. This technology offers an added level of certainty to the two-hour delivery windows.
Dave Walmsley, Palletways UK Managing Director, said: “We have been working around the clock for twelve months to make sure that our game changing ETA system is ready to improve the offer of our members, like SMA Pallets, to both the customers of today and the future.
“In addition to our award-winning archway scanning technology, Digital Information Hub and five regional hub depots, our road haulage members have access to cutting-edge tools which provide unrivalled customer service excellence for businesses across the UK needing a pallet freight delivery service.”
SMA Pallets is one of around 400 hundred members of Palletways’ European distribution network, all independent transport operators which share their resources to deliver small consignments of palletised freight to market more efficiently than before.
Notes to Editors
ETA in action – how does the system work?
Step One: The Palletways customer books a consignment;
Step Two: Consignment is collected and transported via a Palletways Hub to the delivery depot. At each stage of the process, delivery notifications are available;
Step three: Upon leaving the delivery depot the notification is sent to the consumer via SMS/ email advising the two-hour delivery window.
Key Palletways stats:
- Palletways was founded in the UK in 1994
- In total Palletways handles up to 40,000 pallets daily, including more than 23,000 pallets a day in the UK, 10,000 in Italy and 3,000 in Iberia.
- One in every four pallets handled by palletised freight networks in the UK is distributed by Palletways
- During a typical operating day Palletways handles more than one pallet every second.
The Palletways Group:
- Palletways provides an express delivery solution for consignments of palletised freight, and is the leading dedicated pallet network in Europe. The Palletways network operates more depots and handles greater volumes of pallets than any other similar network.
- Over the past 23 years Palletways has developed a strategic network of more than 400 depots and 17 hubs. It now provides collection and distribution services across 20 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Slovakia and the United Kingdom.
- In the UK Palletways has a national hub in Lichfield, Staffordshire, and regional hubs in London, Leeds, Edinburgh and Bristol. It offers a range of express distribution services for consignments of palletised freight across the UK. These include next day, next day AM, timed delivery options, and Economy 2/3 day.
- The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Denmark are served via a hub operation in Nijmegen.
- In Germany the Palletways hub operation is in Knullwald (near Kassel).
- In Italy the national hub is in Bologna with regional hubs in Naples and Milan.
- The Iberian national hub, serving Spain and Portugal, is in Madrid with regional hubs in Zaragoza and Jaen.
- Collection and distribution services in France are provided via a subcontracted operation, with three hubs in Paris, Lyon and Montpellier.
- Palletways Europe GmbH, based in Switzerland, was set up in 2006 to develop pan-European collection and distribution services
- Palletways Poland is served by a national hub in Łódź.
- Supporting all the networks is Palletways award winning technology including its unique archway scanning system which captures a photographic image of every pallet which passes through its hubs combined with automated scanning to provide seamless track and trace. Palletways’ Digital Information Hub, a custom developed communications platform provides real time data linking all operations across Europe monitoring all consignments providing total visibility and security of every pallet throughout the whole distribution process to all European destinations.
- For more information, visit: smaworldwide.com